Wednesday, February 20, 2008

God's Half Brother


God's Half Brother
Originally uploaded by rsconnett

12 X 16" Acrylic on Canvas. January 2008.

I'm fascinated by structures in nature of decay and rejuvenation. Rebirth from a hibernation. The cycles of nature in the raw. I am fascinated by the way man strives to mimic nature in order to fulfill aspirations to become what we perceive as God.
I am frustrated by our inability to express things of importance through our language.
The possibilities of augmenting life so as to prolong it. The mixing of organic life created in Nature, and man's attempts to build similar structures in machine forms. This gives me hope, for I dread that death is nonexistence.
I am enamored of our reinvention of science.
I am at a loss at the realization that it is to late to avoid the coming cataclysms in nature. The death of the world as I have known it.
These are some of the ideas that inspire the images I paint.
It is a self portrait.


This painting began as a projection of a small drawing I'd done in 2004 which I called 'BRAIN ANGEL' I used a projector and sketched the 'Brain Angel' image on a blue-white surface.
I then used the basic structure of the old drawing to expand upon and bring forth new ideas.
This is how I often paint. I see 'things within things' and follow them. Like Alice following the rabbit down a hole, I pursue my visual ideas. Spontaneous, yet also influenced by my conscious thoughts. Not of what I am painting, but thoughts that float through my mind during the perfect state of 'flow' that I achieve while painting for many hours.
I continue to use a very limited palate; BLUE, PURPLE, BURNT SIENNA & WHITE. The blacks you see are these colors mixed. In this piece I added some VIOLET.

No comments: