Friday, February 8, 2008

About my art

To make Art is a basic, instinctive need for the human animal. It pre-dates all language and civilization. Interesting that it is seldom an occupation that makes much money. Perhaps that is becuse we all can do it? It seemingly has no purpose other then to reach a deep yearning of the human spirit ... A deep yearning to 'create', to emulate our visions of God. We want to create our own worlds, just like God. We can not command the seas to rise or the mountains to move ... but we can draw them any way we wish.

This need in us, so unique, is the basis of all the cultures of the Earth. All that man has accomplished, the domination of the planet, all has it's basis in or need to create art.

What shall I call my art? The works I've done have been classified by others as "Outsider", "Surreal, "Low Brow" "Psycho-Representational" All I can tell you is I attempt to illustrate my ideas. So perhaps you should call me an 'Idea Illustrator'?

My art is the scratchings in pen, paint and words of a relatively normal man, living in quiet desperation, slowly going mad on my way to demise.

My art is collected for its beauty, intensity, strangeness and honesty. It’s the kind of art that you stare into, and see many things, including perhaps yourself. Your interpretation of this work is a direct reflection of who you are. It is art of many meanings to many people. It is a mirror. It is not 'ambient art'

Most of my work grows from a single stroke. It is spontaneous. My need to paint and draw began as, and remains a "catharsis". An unplanned way to express feelings and thoughts. Thus, It is not an intellectual process. Any intelligence found within these works comes from within the observer, not the creator.

You either feel my art, or you don't. If you feel it, take pleasure in it ... If you like it enough, you should buy it! It is how I make a living. I am unfit for any other occupation. So, I sincerely hope you will like it, and buy it, and live with it. Having 'ART' in your home is important. There is a huge difference in the quality of life between those who do, and those who do not. If you do not buy my art, I strongly suggest you buy someone else's. �

No comments: