Tuesday, September 1, 2009

CHRIST SUFFERING FOOLS


CHRIST SUFFERING FOOLS
Originally uploaded by rsconnett

"JESUS CHRIST PORTRAIT #7"
An Acrylic Painting on wood panel
IMAGE SIZE: 11" x 14"

This is the 7th Christ portrait I've done in 24 months. I'm an 'Animist' myself, which is one step up, (or is it down?) from an atheist. I believe in everything and nothing simultaneously. Seems conflicted, yet somehow it works for me. In spite of this, I've always been interested in the image of Christ.

As a child brought up in a neighborhood of Irish Catholics, I was the only mutt from a family of unknown origin, and atheistic leanings. The icons at the neighborhood church, only a few doors away, of the bloody Christ figure in anguish, was one of the earliest images burned into my childhood memory. Of course, I was constantly told by my young peers that I was destined for hell, having no baptism.

Keep the faith baby!

No comments: