Saturday, April 12, 2008

Dreaming by the City of Glass


Dreaming by the City of Glass
Originally uploaded by rsconnett

Acrylic on Canvas, 11" x 14" Completed 4/2008

This is the number 2 painting in a series of small paintings I think of as my "Cities of Glass" or "Fungal Cities"

These paintings are small, but not "tiny"; 8" x 10" & 11" x 14". However, I consider them to be Miniatures because of the minute detail I put into them.

Some info for you Artists; I wear several different magnifying glasses when I paint these. I start with standard magnification glasses with a 250 power, and move all the way up to Jeweler's goggles with a magnification power of 700%. In between I switch from #3, #4, #5, and the #7's for the finest details. I used "script" or "liner" brushes, very slender and long. I go as low as size 0018! (made by Loew-Cornell series #7350)

These are also experiments in subtlety. My earlier work is well known for blatant imagery. Now, I desire to make some paintings that will allow the viewer to project their own interpretation into them. I no longer feel the need to bash people over the head with my art. I find it more challenging and satisfying to trigger imaginations.

This one is purely aesthetic. It is meant to provoke feelings of "other worldliness" and a little mystery as to what is actually going on in this microcosmic environment.

The idea for the sleeper in the bubbled top boat came to me when I dreamed that my bed was floating in the water while I had a fishing pole and my line in the water.

No comments: